Do you still have problems with expressing the future in English???
Watch this classic song about the future and then read the summary.
This is a summary of the different ways of expressing the future in English. I hope you find it useful.
There are different ways of expressing the future in English:
· Timetables, schedules or routines
· In time clauses with after, as soon as, before, when, while, until
· Planned future events when there is a firm intention
· Fixed arrangements in the future
· Never use it for predictions or events over which we have no control
BE GOING TO
· Predictions based on some present or strong evidence
· Plans where there is just an intention
· Predictions based on our opinion or experience
· With verbs like think, bet, expect, hope, imagine, wonder, I’m sure
· Spontaneous decisions (taken at the moment of speaking)
· Promises, requests and offers
· Use it in formal contexts rather than going to
· Only 1st person singular/plural